Often you will see this error message “Could not determine the target of the Drag&Drop operation. Either the shell extension is not installed properly or you didn’t drop the files into an Explorer window ” when you try to drag and drop the files from filezilla on your desktop.
Don’t worry we have come with an easy fix for this error message. We have tested this method on windows 7 (x86/x64), windows 8 & 8.1 and windows 10 tech preview and insiders preview and worked perfectly.
Here is what we did to fix drag & drop error of FileZilla:
- First Open command prompt (cmd) and run it as Administrator.
- Go to the location of Filezilla.For 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS and 32 bit version of filezilla and 64-bit version of Filezilla respectively,use below command:C:\Windows\system32>cd/C:\>cd “Program Files”C:\Program Files>cd “FileZilla FTP Client”
For 64 bit OS with 32 bit version of Filezilla use below command:
C:\>cd “Program Files (x86)”
C:\Program Files (x86)>cd “FileZilla FTP Client”
- If you are using 64-bit operating system then just type this command : regsvr32 fzshellext_64.dll . For 32-bit OS use this command: regsvr32 fzshellext.dll
- A new dialog box will appear saying: DllRegisterServer in fzshellext_64.dll succeeded. Click on OK button.
- Now restart you pc. The error will be fixed now.
VIDEO TUTORIAL for Fixing FileZilla Drag and Drop Error:
The Following tutorial is meant to fix the annoying message shown by filezilla while dragging files from server to desktop
If you have any confusion or any suggestion while following the tutorial then feel free to comment below.
Note: We have tested the above method on Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10074.